Friday, May 11, 2012

#Recap - The Avengers

I finally went on to see The Avengers yesterday evening!~

There was a non-3D playing at a movie theater around, starting about an hour after I decided to check it out online, so we just went there ASAP.


And the only thing I want to say is: Joss Whedon really knows how to make a good and entertaining movie!
I'll even nsay, Joss Whedon's f****** good!!

But that I already knew from Serenity, which only wasn't a success at the time because it wasn't a movie as hyped or an IP as popular as this one. And because of Avenger's bigger and better marketing.
Anyways, I truly believe most movies/games/whatever only succeed nowadays due to their bigger and more expansive budge/marketing. Throw money at the screen and people will eat that sh*t - prove in point the awful Transformers Bay-movies.

But I digress.

So Avengers was pretty darn good.
I really think only Whedon (and a couple of others) could make this dream project come true. I mean any other "studio-director" would have been overthrown by the dantesque project. The picture quality, CGi, etc. would have been the same, but the movie wouldn't have spent as much time with each character. Respecting both their respective movie(s) and comic book franchises.
The movie truly felt like a continuation of each series. Part-Captain America follow-up, part-Thor sequel, part-Iron Man 3. Well, Hulk, due to the change of actor I think didn't felt much like an Incredible Hulk, but Edward Norton's Hulk was alluded here and there (through the supersoldier/Abomination plotline).

It was bright, it was colorful, it was EPIC.
Yeah, EPIC's the world. Really, for once this word can b properly used here.
Specially near the end, the big panorama through the fight, pausing on each hero really qualifies this movie as epic.
It really felt like the Avengers come to life, Stan Lee's Avengers live! (speaking of which, I almost feared this would be the first Marvel movie Stan Lee-less, but thankfully, The Man still got a nice lil' unexpected cameo).

The only thing missing was the current cartoon Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes' theme song (come on, we all know it would have been awesome, even an orchestral take on that piece!) and the famous AVENGERS ASSEMBLE! catchphrase, which could have been so easily inserted at a certain moment!

Oh, and I guess my only complain was that the movie's villains, the "Chitauri" (if I'm not mistaken) were pretty dull and generic. They were apparently pulled from the Ultimate Marvel comics, I've just read. Well, I originally thought they were improvised for the movie..
I mean, it's almost as if originally, in the screenplay, Loki was using Skrulls or Krees from across the universe, but at the last moment they were replaced due to the producers or Marvel's involvement, to keep them free for a next future movie. (wouldn't surprise me, imagine a movie based on the Skrulls invasion..?) Thus the movie's Chitauri keep a very Skrull-ysh look, vehicles and weapons, but are instead dull grey-sh CGi creatures without personality.

Anyway, in the end, besides that aspect? A pretty epic movie!
Just having fun with superheroes and these Marvel characters. A true superhero movie done right.
Almost makes me which most movies could leave secret origins behind.


JLA by ~bbrunoliveira on deviantART

More than anything, this movie really made me think we could perfectly have a live Justice League movie that would work on the big screen.
Think about it!
They always think about believable adaptations, etc. But here in Avengers we got a HULK (ha!), gods, aliens from other dimensions, rocketflying robots, super over-the-top-archers, super badass spies, the SHIELD helicarrier, etc.
The audience will accept all that as long as it is properly introduced (not even explained - just take a look at Tony Stark's robots and technology!), has a decent enough budget and an excellent marketing! (<-it always comes down to that, heh?)
You could have Darkseid, Para-demons and Apokolips as main antagonists/reason for the heroes to join forces.
And no excuse like "but Green Arrow/Batman's powerless!" I mean, look at Black Widow or Hawkeye in Avengers! It's a movie, not real life! Just make 'em extremely efficient/badass on screen. It's entertainment, not a fraggin' documentary!

Yeah, this kinda turned into a JL-post, but that's my blog, so let me rumble around :P


Marvel Comics were my gateway into the realm of comic books, but I'm a DC guy at heart!~

Overall: The Avengers? An excellent movie!
Why did we get all these Thor, Iron Men and Hulk movies? Couldn't we had gotten that right away?!

No comments:

Post a Comment