Wednesday, June 30, 2010

VGR:Quickies My Street Fighter 2 collection




Something a bit different.
Just to try a different format that may come in handy in future comic reviews.

Introducing QUICKIES! - meaning quick review, when I won't take a huge look in depth at comic/movies/games/etc...
(useful for, say, tv show episodes, long running comic series, etc..)

This is a complementary review to my previous Street Fighter 2 VGR.

Here's my whole Street Fighter II collection! (as of today!)
Yeah, I'm pretty proud of that. I'm a huge fightin' game fan!
(heck, this reminds me I should put a pic of the entire collection at some point :P)

Of cours I don't have everything!
I was thinking for a while to add Street Fighter 2 on the PC Engine...but.. it's an iteam a bit too much expensive nowadays and it doesn't bring up anything new (it's a port of Street Fighter II Dash meaning SF2 turbo which I have on the SNES, same game, nothing "original" to it, apart from having to use the PC Engine pad) .
Oh, and there's two others I wanted to have if not just try once.
Super Street Fighter II X for Matching Service on the Dreamcast which was one of the latest upgrades to SF2. (I'll take donations! :P hey, a man can dream, right?)
and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix which is the recent upgrade/remake available as a downloadable game on modern system, which explains why I haven't checked it out yet. (yep, I'm a classic gamer, I need my games materials, dammit!)


Other than that, I think I covered all SF2 availables.
Nope, I didn't miss "Pocket Fighters", "Street Fighter 2 Anime" or "Street Fighter the movie"...
This here's just about the Street fighter 2 series, not the entire SF franchise!
(I'll take a look at other SF games later on)

Anyway, let's get to our Quicky-reviews, shall we?




Title: Street Fighter II
From Capcom
On the SNES
Type Fighting game
Year 1992

The original Street Fighter 2, like I said in my original Street Fighter 2 series VGR, it was innovative, marked the entire gamin' industry. But it's far from perfect. The SNES version kept most of the arcade's own bugs and little glitches and added some.

Overall: A great game on the "game collector" aspect, but not that much from a gameplay's point of view.
(maybe you're interested in Guile's various glitches...but you should try it with emulation then, doesn't justify this cartridge's current price!)

I give this one a: 1.5 / 3 Score!


Title: Street Fighter II Turbo
From Capcom
On the SNES

Type Fighting game
Year 1993

The very first Street Fighter 2 update. Corrected tons of little details and fixed the gameplay a bit. (like Super Street Fighter 4 did to SF4 recently).
Added playable bosses, increased the speed, which for pal gamers meant a lot of difference!


Overall: Much better than the original game on the arcades as well on SNES. Should you have only one version try this one or Super SF2!

I give this one a: 2 / 3 Score!


Title: Street Fighter II′: Special Champion Edition
From Capcom
On the MD

Type Fighting game
Year 1993

Covered in the main SF2 series Review

Overall: /

I give this one a: 2 / 3 Score!


Title: Super Street Fighter II
From Capcom
On the SNES/MD

Type Fighting game
Year 1994

Covered in the main SF2 series Review

Overall: Pretty similar on both system. A nice upgrade despite the lack of speed of the previous version.

I give this one a: 2 / 3 Score!


Title: Capcom Generation Vol. 5

From Capcom
On the Sega Saturn

Type Fighting game
Year 1998

A pretty neat compilation available on PS1 as well. Featuring the original Street Fighter 2, SF2 Dash/Champion and SF2 Hyper Fighting/Turbo. All running exactly like their original arcade versions, which also means no bonus modes present in previous console ports (tournaments, ...).
If you want to try the original SF2 games but can't find an arcade cabinet no more, this is the next best thing you'll find!


Overall: A great compilation. I would almost rate it less just because there's only 3 old Street Fighter 2 games and no Super SF2 game on it...
Anyway, it's perfect ports running at 60Hz (on the Saturn). For collectors and SF fans!

I give this one a: 2 / 3 Score!


Title: Street Fighter Collection
From Capcom
On the Sega Saturn
Type Fighting game
Year 1997

Covered in the main SF2 series Review

Overall: Both Super SF2 games and Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 2. If this was combined with the previous compilation (Capcom generation 5) I would give this a perfect 3/3... Oh well...

I give this one a: 2.5 / 3 Score!


Title: Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival

From Capcom
On the GBA

Type Fighting game
Year 2001

Covered in the main SF2 series Review

Overall: /

I give this one a: 2.5 / 3 Score!


Title: Hyper Street Fighter II The Anniversary Collection

From Capcom
On the PS2

Type Fighting game
Year 2003

We've briefly mentioned this one in the main review. What is Hyper Street Fighter 2? It's the 15th anniversary special SF2 release!
This latest "update" isn't simply a new upgrade in the logical term, but more like a new version running on the previous SF2 engine. This time around no new gimmick or feature nor characters. When you start a fight, you chose your game mode, much like you can in some SNK or VS. titles; Original/Champion/Turbo/Super/Super Turbo. Some characters like Thunderhawk can't be selected if you chose a pre-SSF2 gameplay since they weren't available back then.
And other than that? No change in gameplay or fixes, nothing...
The game also features a brand new remixed soundtrack for the occasion, many artworks and videos to see and the SF2 animated movie as well on the same disc!

Overall: My main problem with this game is that it looks like a mugen game. When selecting a mode, some characters may look a bit odd next to each other since they aren't from the same game (say Ryu in original mode/SF2 next to Ken in Super Turbo/SSF2X will not look normal). Plus this game creates a lot of gameplay issues for having characters with less techniques against others with super charges and counters.
It's fun to try it once but a pretty strange experience in the long run.

I give this one a: 2 / 3 Score!

 
That's all for this time's Quickies!

1 comment:

  1. Exactly!

    I was planning either the Brave and the Bold comics or the Outsiders comics.

    Oh, and this could work for episodes of TV series (firefly? Clone wars? the possibilities are endless~)

    ReplyDelete